Friday, January 25, 2013

Hitting the Slopes

We spent the MLK holiday weekend on the slopes.  We met our friends Kelli and Matt from Iowa at the Denver Airport then drove together to Breckenridge for skiing, shopping and snow.  The snow slightly disappointed as Colorado could definitely use more of the white powder but the weather was great for a busy mid-January weekend in a ski town.

Brayden played some at the Breckenridge Ski School's childcare center.  The childcare center was conveniently located in the same building as our condo.  He did really well, getting a report that he read books, played outside, took a 2 1/2 hour nap, refused their mac 'n cheese (guess it wasn't as good as his dad's "no butter" mac 'n cheese) and enjoyed the pancakes so much they had to cut him off!  We were very proud of him.  Tim got in two days of blue and black runs while I attempted to enjoy a day of skiing followed by some reading and shopping.  I skied horribly this year and finally convinced myself to take a ski lesson next trip to break some bad habits!  I also ended up with a bum knee that I am nursing back to health.  Another skier ran into me hard from the back - I didn't have a chance to see him coming - and my knee took a twist in the wrong direction.  It could have been a lot worse, but for now, I am watching it closely and sticking to some low-key workouts on the elliptical.

Brayden loved walking around the condo, people watching, and going out to eat.  His favorite food was a cheese quesadilla in the shape of a bunny at the local Mexican restaurant.  Brayden was wide awake for both flights this trip.  He mostly reads but now also enjoys playing with his little trucks and Fisher Price animals.  He was a huge fan of the Southwest "Spirit" Magazine this month as it featured football players on the cover!

You have to be three-years-old to attend ski school.  Tim already can't wait to enroll Brayden!